Friday, October 22, 2010

1 Nephi 5 - A Stupor of Thought

I have tried 4 times to write an insight for this chapter.  I have several insights that I really like, but when I try to write them down, it just doesn't come.  It never feels right.  I don't know exactly why.  All I know is that I am having a serious stupor of thought.  So that is what I will talk briefly about.

After trying again and again, with nothing feeling good, it is time to change course.  Sometimes I think this is the case in our lives.  I've had other experiences where I have searched and searched for answers, and continually come back to square one.  It causes me all kinds of grief.  Eventually I learn to move on - that now is perhaps not the time.  When after we've done all we can, and things aren't shaping up like we'd expect, it may be time to reevaluate our situation.  Thankfully we can always seek inspiration, even about that.

2 comments:

  1. I like this thought about a stupor of thought. :) From this chapter, I really love the example of the loving reaction Lehi has when Sariah is complaining (and I mean REALLY complaining, see verses 2-3) about their sons being gone and potentially lost for good. He acknowledges the fact that he is a visionary man (something she was using against him as an insult) and then bears testimony to his wife, whom he obviously adores that the Lord will bring their sons back safe and sound. (verses 4-6). When they do come back, she humbly acknowledges the Lord and unabashedly bears HER testimony that her husband is being guided by the Lord. I think that there's a lot to learn about marriage as well as just in facing trials and how we can support each other through our love and testimony. By the way, I think your stupor of thought was a blessing to me to be able to think and express my thoughts on this chapter. :) Maybe that's one reason you had it. I just finished the chapter and there's more I'd love to comment on, but unfortunately have to go to work. Man, I wish I was a full-time missionary again! Enjoy it, Elder Kunz! (I know you are! Maybe I should tell you how great being an "undercover missionary" is. You're gonna love that too!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to do that! Undercover missionary - well put.

    ReplyDelete