Saturday, October 16, 2010

First Nephi Chapter Four - 1 Nephi 4

I feel like there are a hundred things I could say about this chapter.  For the sake of consistency I will continue with what I began in chapter 3's post.  Nephi has set a goal, and encountered great opposition.  Is it any wonder that we all encounter opposition when attmepting to bring about greater good?  From the first verse, Nephi is nothing but persistent and faithful - "let us go up AGAIN (3rd try) unto Jerusalem, and let us be faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord."  Bingo.
The plates probably looked something like this.

So what happens?  The goal is still to retrieve the plates of brass.  We have two total failures under our belt.  But patient persistence pays off.  Verse 6 is great - "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do."  Nephi is led forth in a direction I know he never anticipated.  Ultimately he is commanded to do something that I would imagine is the hardest thing he has ever had to do.  There are so many lessons in this little experience I could go on all day.

Nephi is told to go contrary to what he knows to be true, that he might accomplish the task the Lord has laid before him, and the goals he has set.  I am going to say that it is extremely unlikely that the Lord will ever ask us to do anything contrary to His commandments in order to achieve a goal.  The question for us here is are we willing to put it all on the line for the Lord?  Will we follow the promptings of the Spirit so much that we will do what might be the hardest thing we have ever had to do?  This is a difficult thing.  We grow into the principle of obedience.  It often takes time, and fortunately the Lord is ever patient and merciful with us.  But let us also remember that He will never give us anything we cannot handle (1 Nephi 3:7, 1 Corinthians 10:13).

So on the topic of setting goals, making plans, and relying on the Lord, this story has really  helped me with the application of these principles in my own life.  The goal is set, Nephi clearly does all he can.  He keeps saying yes even when the odds say no.  On the third attempt, I am sure he had a prayer in his heart something to the tune of "okay Lord, I have done everything in my power to accomplish this thing.  Please, please guide me to do what is right, and what I need to do to get these records" (or forgive that person, or get Sundays off work, or stop drinking...).   We will all reach a point when we say to ourselves, I can't do this by myself.  I need help.  And that is when our Savior, Jesus Christ, comes along and says give me all you have, do all you can, and I'll do the rest.  Its one of the great blessings of His Atonement.

Summary - when we set righteous goals, ask for the Lord's help, do all we can, and put our faith in the Lord, everything will turn out the way it needs to be. Ain't that nice?

I'll again recommend Henry B. Eyring's most recent talk Trust In God, Then Go and Do

1 comment:

  1. "We will all reach a point when we say to ourselves, I can't do this by myself. I need help. And that is when our Savior, Jesus Christ, comes along and says give me all you have, do all you can, and I'll do the rest. Its one of the great blessings of His Atonement." That is exactly what I needed today. Thank you, Elder Kunz!! I'm going to try and publicize this blog so that more people's lives can be affected by your awesome missionary efforts!!

    ReplyDelete